Interview skills — dressing on a budget
When it comes to the job market, first impressions really are vitally important, so making sure you have the right outfit for your interview is key. But we get it, dressing for your interview can be overwhelming, and even more so when you’re on a tight budget.
We have some tips to help you:
- Do your research
First up, you need to have a good idea about your potential employers and the types of dress codes they’ll expect. If you already have a specific interview coming up, take a look at the employer’s website to get a feel for what you can wear that will help you fit in. If you get the chance, ask when scheduling the interview what type of clothing would be appropriate, or talk to us for advice on what will work best.
Know where to shop
- Shop your wardrobe: Once you’ve figured out what type of clothing is required, start with your wardrobe to see if you have anything that will work. Even if you don’t have the whole outfit, you might find a pair of shoes, pants or even a nice top that you can use, then you can build the rest of the outfit around that.
- Ask around: Next, call some friends and/or family members to see if they have anything you can borrow for the day. Start with friends who are the same size as you (obviously), but don’t forget about friends who wear different sizes too, maybe they’ll have some accessories you can borrow, like scarves, jewellery, or a tie.
- Where to buy: If you do have to buy something to complete your outfit, start with op-shops in the area like Vinnies or the Salvos, where you’ll find lots and lots of stuff at very cheap prices. If you can’t find what you want second hand, see if you can find retail shops that are going out of business or having a sale, or head to the factory outlets to see what’s cheap.
- Get help from us! Once you’re signed up as a job seeker through our employment services programs, we can assist you in purchasing interview garments and can connect you with services in your local area that may be able to help.
- Style it up: Don’t be afraid to show off your personal style. Your outfit needs to fit the dress code and be professional, but if you can make it fit your style as well you’ll feel more confident and get the chance to show off who you are. Add unique accessories to your outfit to showcase your personality and give you a little extra something.
- Own it: Confidence is everything, so choose something you’re comfortable in, and then rock it! You’ve got this!
Need help choosing an interview outfit, or finding local programs to help get you interview ready? Give us a buzz today on 9781 3388 to find out how we can help.